Care Guide for Thuja Green Giant Arbovitae
- Select an area with full sun.
- Dig a hole that is twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball.
- Remove the tree from its container and loosen any roots that are tightly packed.
- Place the tree in the hole and backfill with soil, making sure to eliminate any air pockets.
- Water the tree well to settle the soil.
- Prefers well-drained soil.
- Suitable for clay, alkaline, and compacted soils, avoid wet and soggy.
- Spread a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around the base of the plant to conserve moisture and suppress weeds.
- Mulch with hardwood or cypress.
- Full sun to partial shade.
- Green Giants need at least 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Water regularly during the first growing season.
- Once established, water only during extended periods of drought.
- Fertilize during early spring with a slow-release, well-balanced fertilizer.
- Pruning is not necessary.
- If left to grow naturally it may reach heights of up to 60 feet.