Southern Red Cedar, Juniperus silicicola
Southern Red Cedar (Juniperus silicicola) is an evergreen tree that belongs to the Cupressaceae family. It grows quickly and reaches heights of up to 40 feet and a width of 25 feet at the base. This tree is known for its dense foliage and is often used for windbreaks, screens, and wildlife-cover. It is also highly salt-tolerant, making it a popular choice for seaside locations. Additionally, the fragrant wood is often used for repelling insects and the tree can be used as a Christmas tree.
Free Shipping on Select orders, 100% satisfaction Guarantee. Most orders ship within 1-3 days from the day order is received, once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with tracking information.
Plant Hardiness Zones and Details
|Mature Height:||30-40 ft.|
|Mature Width:||20-25 ft.|
|Form||Pyramidal, columnar, oval|
|Uses||Privacy screen, urban tolerant, bonsai, Christmas tree|
|Characteristics||Makes a great Christmas tree|
|Soil Conditions:||Adaptable to most soils|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
PLANT BENEFITS AND KEY FEATURES
• We believe in the power of plants to lift the spirit, calm the mind and clean the air
• Great as ground cover, narrow spaces, along fences and backyards under other plants
• Great choice to increase property value with a low maintenance evergreen
• Drought Tolerant and Resistant to ice, freezing conditions and Pest, Easily grown in a wide range of soils
Landscape uses for Southern Red Cedar Tree
• Single yard specimen
• Windbreak along the property line
• Privacy screen along property perimeter
• Lining a driveway along the entrance
Care & Maintenance
- Choose location with well-draining soil.
- Dig hole twice the width and depth of root ball.
- Place tree in hole, ensuring root ball is level with soil.
- Fill hole with soil and gently press down.
- Water thoroughly to settle soil around roots.
- Easily grown in a range of soils, including clay, alkaline and compacted.
- Prefers well-draining soils with pH between 6 and 7.
- Avoid heavy clay or wet soils to prevent root rot.
- Apply 2-3 inch layer of mulch around tree base.
- Helps retain moisture, suppress weeds, regulate soil temperature.
- Full sun, partial shade.
- Avoid planting in dense shade to prevent weak growth and disease.
- Water deeply and regularly during first growing season, increase frequency during hot days.
- Water established trees only during dry spells, reduce frequency once established.
- Fertilize with balanced slow-release fertilizer once a year in spring.
- Avoid excessive fertilizer to prevent weak growth and disease.
- Prune in winter while tree is dormant.
- Remove dead, diseased, or crossing branches for healthy structure.
- Avoid pruning large branches to prevent stubs prone to disease and decay.
Backed by our 30 days Satisfaction Guarantee
We hope that you enjoy your new plants! We grow and care for our plants from cuttings, seeds or liners, we hand select the best quality available before shipping to your home or office. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. Our friendly customer service team is here to help.
Is it safe to ship plants by mail?
We Believe it is, let us prove it, our success rate sipping plant(s) online is well over 99%.
How do you measure height for ground cover junipers?
Approximate height is measured from the base of the plant to the top of the highest branch.
Are plant(s) purchased online guarantee?
All plants are guarantee for a period of 30 days, We offer a Satisfaction Guarantee Policy.
Can I order during winter months?
Yes you can, however most Tropical plants are sensitive to extreme cold conditions, once cold temperatures are expected to fall below freezing it will not be safe to ship life plants, we carefully manage shipping decisions during winter months and determine when is safe to ship, please be advise we may need to hold orders until conditions are appropriate to safely ship the plants.